April 1-30, 2013 marks the 27th Annual Alcohol Awareness Month. Since 1987, the National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence, Inc. (NCADD) has sponsored NCADD Alcohol Awareness month to increase public awareness and understanding, reduce stigma and encourage local communities to focus on alcoholism and alcohol-related issues. Visit the NCADD website at http://www.ncadd.org/ to learn more.
Other web resources:
- SAMHSA: The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- MADD – Underage Drinking
- BACCHUS Network
- NIAA National Institute on Alchohol Abuse and Alcoholism
- Florida Alcohol and Drug Abuse Association
- “Substance Abuse,” FMHI Research Library Subject Guide
Articles and reports:
- Cavanaugh, R., & Phillips, K. (2010). Alcohol-related college student protective behaviors and negative alcohol related risk. Illinois Higher Education Center for Alcohol, Other Drug & Violence Prevention.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). (2012) Alcohol use and binge-drinking among women of childbearing age-United States, 2006-2010. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 61(28): 534-8.
- Hingson, R.W., Zha, W., & Weitzman, E.R. (2009). Magnitude of and trends in alcohol-related mortality and morbidity among U.S. college students ages 18-24, 1998-2005. J. Stud. Alcohol Drugs, Supplement No. 16: 12-20
- Gmel, G., Kuntsche, E., Rehm, J. (2011). Risky single-occasion drinking: bingeing is not bingeing. Addiction 106(6): 1037-45. doi: 10.1111/j.1360-0443.2010.03167.x
- Parry, C.D., Patra, J., & Rehm, J. (2011). Alcohol consumption and non-communicable diseases: epidemiology and policy implications. Addiction 106(10): 1718-24.
- Voogt, C.V., Poelen, E.A., Kleinjan, M., Lemmers, L.A., & Engels, R.C. (2013). The development of a web-based brief alcohol intervention in reducing heavy drinking among college students: An intervention Mapping approach. Health Promot Int [E-pub ahead of print]
Select USF Libraries resources:
- substance abuse [SH] + alcohol [SH] + 2000-2013: SEARCH RESULTS