National Suicide Prevention Week is September 9-15, 2012.
On September 10, 2012 (World Suicide Prevention Day), the National Action Alliance for Suicide Prevention and the Office of the Surgeon General released a new National Strategy for Suicide Prevention.
Below is a list of efforts by the College of Behavioral and Community Sciences and the Florida Mental Health Institute aimed at suicide prevention and intervention. Please help us in sharing these resources.
USF Resources for training and education about suicide:
- Stephen Roggenbaum & Katherine J. Lazear host the Youth Suicide Prevention: A Community Approach workshop on October 30th and 31st. Registration and information are available at http://preventsuicide.fmhi.usf.edu/workshop/.
- Webinar from August 7, 2012 by Katherine J. Lazear & Stephen Roggenbaum: Saving Lives: A Framework for Suicide Prevention in Schools (description at Saving Lives: A Framework for Suicide Prevention in Schools): http://cfscommunitysolutions.cbcs.usf.edu/webinars/archives.cfm.
- The Youth Suicide Prevention School-Based Guide is a tool that provides a framework for schools to assess their existing or proposed suicide prevention efforts and provides information that school administrators can use to enhance or add to their existing program.
- An online Suicide Prevention Training program is available for free (http://www.bakeracttraining.org/ ). Although designed with involuntary assessment staff (Baker Act facility staff) as the major audience, a number of the modules have applicability to a more general population.
State and National Efforts:
- The Florida Statewide Office of Suicide Prevention’s website offers a variety of resources for individuals, families and professionals and includes a list of statewide initiatives.
- The American Association of Suicidology has a number of fact sheets in English and Spanish. Visit http://www.suicidology.org.
Anyone who is considering suicide, or knows someone who may be at risk for suicide, can call 1-800-273-8255 (TALK), the National Lifeline number (24/7) for assistance.
See the Suicide Prevention Infographic for statistical information about suicide in America.
Stephen Roggenbaum, Gubernatorial appointment to Florida’s Suicide Prevention Coordinating Council