SelectedWorks is a web-based scholarly communications system developed by Berkeley Electronic Press. The University of South Florida contracted access to SelectedWorks to provide faculty with the tools to easily build and maintain their own professionally designed websites. Individual scholarly websites enables authors to share their articles, presentations, etc. while maintaining control of the dissemination of their work. For more information about SelectedWorks go to http://works.bepress.com or click here to create an account.
Creating an Account
The following instructions will walk you through creating and populating your SelectedWorks accounts. (View sample page »)
- Go to http://works.bepress.com/ and click on the “Start Your SelectedWorks Site” button on the right side of the screen.
- Under “Create New Account,” click on the “Sign up” button, then fill in the registration form.
- You will be sent an email. Follow the instructions in the email to confirm your account and you will be sent to a webpage to start your site.
- The access code is scholarship.
- The form creates a default url for your SelectedWorks page, which is a concatenation of your first and last name (e.g., http://works.bepress.com/barbara_lewis). You may change your name portion of this url (e.g., http://works.bepress.com/blewis).
- The form also defaults your institution to the one you entered in the “Create New Account” form.
- Select your academic field(s)/discipline(s). You may select more than one.
- The system checks to see if it can find “published” item in its database which matches or is similar to your name and displays the records it finds. Unfortunately, it automatically selects every record and there isn’t an unselect all feature, so you’ll have to un-check those items which are not yours. If the system doesn’t find any records that match your name, this step will be bypassed.
- From your My Account page click on “Edit My Site” in the top menu bar. This page has buttons to upload content, provide an introductory paragraph, etc. “Edit About Me,” in the right side menu, is where you may enter your contact information and upload your photo and CV.
Finally if you go to Scholar Commons @USF (http://scholarcommons.usf.edu/) you’ll see the Library’s community structure by clicking on “Research unit, center, or department.” Also, click on the SelectedWorks Gallery to see everyone with an account who has identified USF as their institution. If your record doesn’t appear in the Gallery within a couple of business days after creating your account or if you have any problems creating your account or building your website, please contact Barbara Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org or 813-974-4040.