Undergraduate Research Conference
Fall 2017 Undergraduate Research (UR) Conference
The OUR is pleased to announce the first-annual Fall Undergraduate Research Conference! This event is sponsored by the OUR, and will be hosted by the Undergraduate Research Society (URS). This student-led conference will provide a venue for undergraduate students to present their current research, and receive feedback from the USF community.
***Space is limited for this conference. Please note that no more than 50 abstracts will be selected for presentation.
|Presenter Application Available||Mon. Aug. 21, 2017
|Presenter Application Deadline||Mon. Sept. 18, 2018
|Notification of Acceptance||Fri. Sept. 22, 2017
|Undergraduate Research Conference||Mon. Oct. 9, 2017
To participate in the conference you must:
- be a currently enrolled, degree seeking student in good standing
- affirm that your research is being conducted under the direction of a USF faculty mentor(s), and that you hold appropriate approvals to conduct the research.
- be available to present your research at the UR Conference on Mon. Oct. 9, 2017
Students may participate individually or as part of a group and will present their research in one of the formats listed below:
- Studio/Visual Arts Presentation (including painting,photography, drawing, etc.)
Posters must not exceed 24″ by 36″.
NOTE: If your abstract is accepted for presentation you will receive detailed instructions regarding how to prepare and submit your poster file to the OUR for printing.
Due to space limitations, the number of oral abstracts accepted for presentation will be limited. Oral presentations will run no more than 15 minutes in duration including questions.
Performing Arts Presentation
If you are presenting a theater, dance, or music research performance project you will be assigned to an ORAL presentation. Please select ORAL Presentation on the Conference Application form.
Studio/Visual Arts Presentations
If you are presenting a research-based studio/visual arts project you may select from TWO presentation formats:
- Oral Presentation: Oral presentations will run no more than 15 minutes in duration including questions.
- Studio/Visual Arts Presentation: You will display your art piece (i.e., painting, photograph(s), drawings, etc.) along with a supplementary research poster (poster must not exceed 24″ by 36″).
Required Application Materials
*Group Presentations: Select ONE group member to submit ONE application on behalf of the group.
Before you begin the application, make certain that you have the following items available:
- Abstract (250 max.- In a Word file, and submitted as part of the application)
- If you are submitting an application on behalf of a group: the names and USF e-mail addresses for each group member
- Arts Submissions: After your application is submitted, you will be contacted by the OUR with a request to submit supplementary materials, which may include:
- an audio or video recording of the performance
- a link to the video of the performance/video piece
- a full musical score or script
- an artist’s statement
- images (must be sized at 300dpi and in jpeg format, maximum 3)
Information Regarding Abstracts
Abstracts are submitted as part of the application (please upload a Word file)
It is highly recommended that you take sufficient time to prepare and thoroughly review the abstract with your research mentor before submitting your application.
The Abstract MUST contain the following components:
- Thesis Statement/Research Question/Hypothesis/Goal/Aim
- Results/Findings/Expectations/Argument (statements such as will be determined or in progress are unacceptable)
- Conclusions/Implications/Future Research
Please review the Abstract Guide for additional information regarding the components outlined above.
If you need help preparing your abstract, or improving any aspect of your presentation, please contact the OUR for consultation.
View Abstract Examples »
Applications will open on Aug. 21, 2017. Notify Me!
Application Review and Acceptance
- 50 abstracts will be selected for the conference ( 25 posters and 25 oral presentations)
- Students selected to participate will receive final notification by Sept. 22, 2017.
- Incomplete applications will NOT be reviewed.
Spring 2018 Undergraduate Research Conference
The OUR will begin accepting applications for the Spring UR Conference in December, 2017.