The Office for Undergraduate Research (OUR) provides support to undergraduate researchers through a variety of fellowships, scholarships and awards. Please see the Travel and Funding sections below for specific funding opportunities.
Funding to Conduct Undergraduate Research Travel Grant
The Undergraduate Research Travel Grant provides financial support to students who travel for the purposes of conducting research related to an ongoing research or creative activities project. Activities supported by the travel grant include but are not limited to data collection, fieldwork, outside mentor collaboration meetings, research training, and use of equipment not available at USF. Important Note: Travel Grant Applications must be submitted for review 90 days PRIOR to travel. Applications received less than 90 days prior to travel will not be reviewed. Students who seek travel funding to present their research at conferences are NOT eligible to apply for the Undergraduate Research Travel Grant. Students seeking funds for conference presentation should apply through the Student Government Travel Grant Program.
Funding to Present at a Conference
The OUR does NOT offer funding for conference presentation. However, USF Student Government Association awards funds for student travel to conferences:
Interdisciplinary Research Scholarship
The Interdisciplinary Research Scholarship (IDRS) was established by the Office for Undergraduate Research to support student engagement in interdisciplinary research at USF. The scholarship provides up to $750 to support components/supplies that are required for the interdisciplinary research/creative activity. Funds are typically provided to the project mentor in support of the research/creative activity project. Undergraduate students in all disciplines are eligible to apply for the IDRS.
Scholarship Application Deadlines
* Fall 2014 : Sept. 19, 2014
*Spring 2015: March 13,2015
No awards are made in the summer.
Community Scholars Fellowship Program
In partnership with the OUR, the Community Scholars Fellowship program supports undergraduate students conducting research that benefits, and is carried out in partnership with community organizations, nonprofits, or local government agencies. The program provides a stipend of $1,000 for a student who will carry out at least 150 hours of research over the course of a semester or a summer. The program also provides up to $250 for research related expenses, and a $250 stipend for the community partner, and if applicable, $250 for a faculty “advisor”.
Research in Arts Scholarship
The Research in Arts Scholarship provides financial support to students accepted to participate in the School of Art and Art History’s Summer Paris Program. During the fall semester, scholarship recipients create research-based art projects, which are displayed in the OUR office suite for one academic year.
Read More »
OUR Research Colloquium Fellowship Program
The Office for Undergraduate Research (OUR) Research Colloquium Fellowship Program provides a highly engaged learning experience for students interested in the logistics and data analysis associated with the annual USF Undergraduate Research and Arts Colloquium. Students selected for fellowship positions will participate in a variety of activities during the Spring 2015 semester. Activities and responsibilities include the following:
- Assist with the preparation of all printed materials for the event
- Assist with event branding including social media posts and flyer distribution
- Perform data entry and analysis associated with the colloquium event and event survey
- Serve as a team leader for student event volunteers
- Assist OUR staff with set up and break down of the event
- Prepare a detailed colloquium summary report
Benefits of becoming a Colloquium Fellow
- Gain critical professional development and leadership skills
- Enhance your professional and research credentials
- Acquire practical skills and competencies that can be highlighted on job or graduate school application.
- Network with USF faculty, staff and administrators
- Learn about the logistics associated with hosting a major university event
- Create a research poster for the 2015 UR Colloquium
Details Regarding Time Commitment
The fellowship runs from late January to early April with the majority of service occurring during the month of March and early April.
- Fellows will receive a $500 stipend to be awarded during the spring semester
- Fellows will receive an official letter from the OUR documenting the experience.
- Fellows will be enrolled in a 0-credit undergraduate research course during the spring semester.
Up to 3 fellowships will be awarded.
- Undergraduate status in good academic standing
- Open to all majors
- Must have a flexible schedule and be available to assist 10-15 hours per week during the months of March and (early) April.
Note: All application materials are uploaded through the Student Colloquium Internship Application.
- Statement of Interest: Your statement should clearly describe your skills, background and experience. It should also indicate why you are interested in the fellowship and what you hope to learn through the experience.
- Letter of Recommendation: From a USF faculty member, administrator or other university personnel.
- Current CV/Resume
Application deadline Sunday Nov. 9, 2014 by 11:00pm