USF Unmanned Aircraft System (Drone) Operations Workshop
September 22, 2017 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
Advanced Visualization Center – CMC 147
Check Back Soon for a Video of the Workshop
- Inform faculty and researchers on proper operational procedures (USF and FAA)
- Where and how flights on and off campus can be conducted
- Export control requirements
- How to obtain a license to fly
- Notifications, records, and flight plans
- 10:05 – William Land (Environmental Health and Safety) – An introduction to the USF System policy and discussion of the USF procedures specific to the forms and review/approval process.
- 10:25 – Marsha Pesch (Export Control Office) – Discussions regarding controlled UAS, and the classification process the office performs. Also, will cover permanent and temporary export of UAS to foreign country and use of license or license exceptions.
- 10:45 – Joel Londrigan & Frederic Skinner (Office of General Council) – Will answer questions pertaining to the legal aspects of drone use at USF.
- 11:00 – Garrett Speed (Digital Heritage and Humanities Collections) – FAA Licensed UAV operator at USF will discuss how to obtain a license to fly, and how to prepare and acquire proper pre-flight permissions, notifications, records, and flight plans.
- 11:20 – Travis Doering (Digital Heritage and Humanities Collections) – will briefly discuss flying drones in foreign countries.
- 11:30 – Questions and Answers
Hyperlinks From Presentations
Marsha Pesch Presentation
- USF Drone Policy – http://regulationspolicies.usf.edu/policies-and-procedures/pdfs/policy-6-036.pdf
- Environmental Health and Safety Drone Policy and Procedure Page – http://www.usf.edu/administrative-services/environmental-health-safety/drone-policy/index.aspx
- Drone Procedure Forms – http://www.usf.edu/administrative-services/environmental-health-safety/drone-policy/procedure-forms.aspx
Garrett Speed’s Presentation
- FAA Part 107 License information – https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_work_business/becoming_a_pilot/
- FAA Part 107 Study Guide – https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/media/remote_pilot_study_guide.pdf
- Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge – https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/phak/
- Sample Questions – https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_questions/media/uag_sample_exam.pdf
- Supplemental Test Booklet – https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/supplements/media/sport_rec_private_akts.pdf
- List of Testing Centers – https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/media/test_centers.pdf
- Integrated Airman Certificate and/or Rating Application System – https://iacra.faa.gov/IACRA/Default.aspx
- Drone Registration – https://registermyuas.faa.gov/
- Airspace and other waiver requests – https://www.faa.gov/uas/request_waiver/
- How to contact an airport – https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/aircraft-and-ownership/drones/best-practices-for-flying-your-drone-near-an-airport