The USF Tampa Library is committed to providing equitable access to library materials, programs, and services to all patrons. Staff working in public areas will make good faith efforts to accommodate reasonable requests from library users whose disabilities limit their use of the Library’s facilities and resources. If services are needed beyond those listed, or if you have questions or suggestions, please contact the Academic Services Director Nancy Cunningham or by phone at (813) 974-0450.
The Library continues to develop resources to meet current ADA standards to ensure equal access to information for patrons with disabilities. Arrangements for reasonable accommodations are coordinated with the campus Students with Disabilities Services (SDS) at 813-974-4309. Students with disabilities are encouraged to register with the ASASD to become eligible for the services provided through that office.
Safe and accessible parking is provided near the library entrance with level walkways and gradually sloping ramps leading to the Library entrance. A mechanically operated entrance/exit door is available for access by those with physical disabilities. Within the building, handrails are provided on stairways, doors leading to stacks area, teaching labs, and rest rooms are push-button accessible, and lower sinks and drinking fountains are available for wheelchair users. Braille numbering and lettering are used to designate bathrooms, elevators, and rooms.
The staff of Access Services (Circulation/Reserve/Media) will assist patrons with disabilities by retrieving materials as needed. Requests for assistance will be handled by staff as soon as possible. If staffing at the desk is limited or the staff cannot assist the patron at the time of a request, the patron and the staff will mutually agree upon a time when the patron may best be assisted. Please note that staff will be best able to provide assistance 8am to 5pm, Monday through Friday. Contact them at 813-974-1611 for more information, or any other assistance with these matters.
ADA Assistive Technologies
The Library provides assistive technology devices and software, including training and support during office hours. These technologies include:
- ZoomText 9.0 which magnifies/enlarges and reads on-screen text for people with low or no vision is available on the ADA computers in the Learning Commons (located on the 1st floor of the library).
- A Braille printer & Duxbury Braille printing software are installed on the Learning Commons ADA computer.
- A Visualtek machine, which magnifies print, whether from a single page or another print source such as a book or magazine, is available on the 1st floor in the Learning Commons.
In addition, the Tampa Library provides access to:
- Wireless networking nodes throughout the Library.
- (2) flatbed scanners are available in the Learning Commons.
- Almost 500 online databases which access nearly 20,000 journal titles.
- NetLibrary access to 46,000+ electronic books (some downloadable and some audio).*
- Online reference materials such as dictionaries, encyclopedias, atlases, manuals, etc.*
- Laptops are available for three-hour checkout periods at the Library Services Desk on the 1st floor (restricted to USF students). More info »
- Access to Microsoft applications + many others (Learning Commons and laptop computers only).
- PC workstations/carrels designated for wheelchair access in each service area. Wheelchair accessible service desks.
(*Note: Off-campus access to electronic resources is restricted to USF students, faculty, and staff.)
The Library attempts to make our website ADA compliant. If disabled patrons experience difficulties using any section of it, they should contact the Library ADA Coordinator.
Braille Resources/Audio Books
The Library has a small collection of Braille resources in Government Documents which is located in the basement. These items may be found in the online catalog using the advanced search format criteria. Audio Books are located in Media Resources on the 1st floor and are available for check-out. In addition, many audio book titles may be downloaded from NetLibrary.
Reference librarians can assist with any questions you have about using the library or conducting library research. Assistance is available face to face at the Library Services Desk or individual consultation by appointment with a librarian »
813.974.2729 / 866.550.8036 (toll free) / 813.974.9874 (TDD/TTY)
Email and Chat
Please feel free to contact us through email, or chat for additional forms of reference assistance.
To avoid delays in service that occur during peak service periods or to receive individual assistance with extensive research projects, patrons with disabilities are encouraged to make appointments with a reference librarian by calling the Library Services Desk at 813-974-2729, or by completing the Research Consultation Request Form »
ADA Resources at USF
- Overview of the Americans with Disabilities Act at USF
- USF Reasonable Accommodation Procedure: Public Event/Services
- USF Students with Disabilities Services
ADA Resources Elsewhere
- Adaptech Research Network
- Deaf Research Help (Gallaudet University)
- Deaf Resource Library
- Florida Alliance for Assistive Services and Technologies
- Florida Braille and Talking Books Libraries
- Florida Telecommunications Relay Service
- National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS)
- Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic
- Vocational Rehabilitation State Offices (U.S. Dept. of Education)
- Web Checker – W3C Validator Service